- Commonest cause is chronic severe allergic rhinitis.
- If there are allergic nasal polyps obstructing the upper part of the nose, where the olfactory nerve fibres ( which carries the sense of smell) are situated, it is sure to cause reduced smell (hyposmia) or complete loss of smell ( anosmia)
- DNE ( DIAGNOSTIC NASAL ENDOSCOPY)
- Medicines to control allergy or reduce the size of the polyps.
- If not responding satisfactorily, FESS can be advised.
- Since the cause (nasal allergy) cannot be fully brought under control, polyps are bound to come back after surgery within a few years in the vast majority. The Draf 3 ( Modified Lothrop) Procedure will give complete cure in 75% of patients, & gives a ray of hope to these suffering patients.